Join the fight for housing justice in New York City!
Communities Resist is a legal services organization working to improve housing conditions and prevent displacement through community organizing, litigation, and advocacy. Drawing on a legacy of more than 50 years of community lawyering in Brooklyn and Queens, Communities Resist has represented hundreds of tenants and tenant associations and joined them in their fight to preserve their communities and defend their rights.
We are hiring a Communications Associate to lead our marketing, PR, and donor relations efforts, with a heavy emphasis on email communications, social media, and relationship-buidling. This role is about communicating CoRe’s unique position as the largest provider of group representation and legal services for tenant associations across Brooklyn and Queens and the only legal services organization who focuses on the powerful combination of both community organizing and legal representation to achieve housing justice.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and confidence in creating and executing marketing strategies from scratch.
- Excellent taste in visual design and brand tone of voice
- Experience setting goals and identifying KPIs
- A deep understanding of branding and marketing fundamentals
- A solid understanding of email marketing and newsletter strategy
- A solid understanding of social media marketing
- Basic competency in the Adobe design suite and/or Canva
- An understanding of the relationship between communications and fundraising, and a willingness to assist with the administrative and strategic elements of development
- An understanding of the relationship between network development, communications, and fundraising
- Powerful written marketing skills
- A willingness to tackle marketing and communications at all levels, from setting strategy to managing mailing lists and creating social media content
- An eagerness to master new skills when the job calls for them
- A willingness to do what is needed and wear multiple hats
- Willingness, desire, and ability to attend evening meetings and events and to integrate into the fabric of our community
The ideal candidate possesses:
- Experience in a non-profit setting
- Development experience, including grant writing and reporting, government relations, and individual donor management
- Graphic design skills
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Setting communications and marketing goals and strategy in collaboration with the Executive Director
- Managing Communities Resist’s brand presence across a variety of platforms, including social media, events, PR, email, and web
- Meeting measurable communications and development goals, as set by you and the Executive Director
- Managing and creating content for a variety of marketing channels, including social media, newsletter, PR, and web
- Growing our individual giving base
- Initiating and implementing special event strategy to further individual, foundation and government fundraising strategies.
- Managing and analyzing communications data to increase efficacy
- Assisting the Executive Director with board management, including building relationships with potential board members and increasing board engagement
CoRe is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
Salary will be commensurate experience and comparable with other similar legal services organizations. Excellent health and other benefits. The position is currently remote but will be a hybrid position beginning in early 2023. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
To apply, forward a cover letter with your resume to:
Lina Lee, Executive Director
Communities Resist Inc.
Please put ‘Communications Associate’ in the subject line.