Reports to: Board of Directors
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Communities Resist started in June of 2019 and is a growing organizing and legal services team combating displacement, structural injustice, and social disenfranchisement through affirmative litigation before housing, state, and federal courts as well as administrative agencies across NYC. We bring innovative legal strategies in partnership with community-based organizations and leaders to represent low-income tenant associations confronting predatory
landlords and developers harassing low-income residents and seeking to vacate buildings; individuals and families facing evictions; low-income tenant co-ops seeking to reinforce and sustain themselves; community institutions facing closures or adverse actions due to extraordinary market pressure and neighborhood displacement; low-income tenants in fair housing litigation; as well as community groups involved in struggles against pervasive housing discrimination, neighborhood segregation, and other issues critically affecting the future of their communities.
Since 2019, we have grown from serving over 1,000 households a year to a $4.3M organization with 24 full-time staff members serving over 4,000 households across NYC with a focus on Brooklyn and Queens. Communities Resist is one of the largest and leading organizing and legal services organizations representing groups of tenants and is positioned for exponential growth and plans to expand its programs and services further across NYC.
Communities Resist is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.
About the Executive Director Opportunity
Communities Resist is seeking a talented and committed Executive Director to provide leadership and organizational direction to ensure that Communities Resist achieves its mission and to lead the organization into its next phase of growth and impact. Communities Resist is seeking an experienced nonprofit leader to work with the Board and staff to create a sustainable strategic plan in response to growing community needs and execute that strategy with strong programmatic, financial, and operational processes. The Executive Director will also work closely with a growing and diverse board to diversify and strengthen the organization’s funding base in support of program growth. They will serve as a primary external presence for the organization, developing partnerships, increasing visibility, and building leadership throughout NYC. This is an exciting opportunity for a strong and experienced executive to provide critical leadership in a growing organization while also ensuring the highest quality of services to the community and our clients and families.
Specifically, the incoming Executive Director will:
● Provide vision and work collaboratively with the Board of Directors and staff to set strategic direction for the next phase of Communities Resist that centers the organization’s core values and mission.
● Develop leadership within the team and supervisors to foster a collaborative team environment focused on achieving annual goals and providing the highest quality of services to our clients.
● Assume overall operational and fiscal management and accountability for the organization, ensuring that Communities Resist is maximizing impact and effectiveness while building a model for sustainability.
● Grow and diversify revenue streams and effectively steward funds to ensure sound financial planning and management.
● Represent organization to potential funders to garner new opportunities to promote organization’s services and objectives.
● Oversee and collaborate with the Board to embark on new fundraising initiatives including development of materials, relationship-building with donors and funders, management of fundraisers and annual galas.
● Serve as a persuasive and compelling spokesperson for Communities Resist by effectively representing its mission, goals, programs to a variety of stakeholders, both internal and external, in order to build Communities Resist’s impact and position as a leader in organizing and housing across NYC.
The Executive Director will be thoroughly committed to Communities Resist’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership and experience and success in financial, staff, board, and fundraising management. Specific requirements include:
● Committed to Communities Resist’s model of organizing and providing the highest quality of legal services representing tenant associations in high impact affirmative litigation cases across NYC.
● At least 10 years of professional experience in positions of increasing responsibility; nonprofit leadership experience as Executive Director or manager strongly preferred.
● J.D., MBA, or masters degree from an accredited college in economics, finance, accounting, business or public administration, human resources management, or a closely related field.
● Track record of effectively leading and scaling a performance-and-outcomes-based organization and staff.
● Ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth.
● Strong strategic fiscal management, oversight, and budgeting skills with ability to advance strategic and financial priorities and opportunities.
● Strong understanding of social justice housing issues.
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse communities and stakeholders.
● Knowledge of legal regulatory requirements for nonprofit organizations.
● Excellence in organizational management with the ability to develop a high-performance team, achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
● Demonstrated success collaborating with a board of directors and engaging and leveraging the board to advance strategic imperatives and fundraising.
● Experience in fund development, including both grant seeking and management, and cultivating and soliciting individual and institutional donors.
● Strong fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of diverse stakeholders.
● Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
Our offices currently work on a hybrid model of in-person and remote work. The office is based in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Staff are expected to be in the office three days a week.
Compensation and Benefits
Communities Resist offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. Salary ranges from $145,000 to $175,000.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to CFOO, Angela Piguave, at email@example.com. The email should include “Executive Director Job Application” in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.